Canal & River Trust
National Waterways Museum
Role and Opportunity Details (to apply for this role you must be 18+).
Water Safety Education Volunteer – Wigan
Water safety is an important part of a child’s education and delivering our Water Safety messages to as many children as possible is a priority for the Canal & River Trust.
Can you help us deliver our interactive assemblies in primary schools across Wigan?
Although volunteering will be very flexible, you’ll need to be able to give around half a day a week for delivery of assemblies.
The role involves travelling across Wigan to visit pupils in school time – there is less to do during school holidays and all travel expenses can be reimbursed.
Specific Skills Required
- Good with people, especially children and young people and confident to speak in front of large groups of Primary school children.
- Teaching or community engagement experience, but more importantly ability to communicate effectively with children, their teachers, families, carers and group leaders.
- A good organiser and confident communicator.Ability to work within a team including some who are spread across the country but be happy to get on with the task on your own.
- Ability to travel locally.
- An understanding of safeguarding issues.
- This role involves regulated activity with children, as defined by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Therefore, an Enhanced Criminal Record check will be undertaken and references will be sought. A criminal record is not necessarily a bar to volunteering with us.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
- Drowning is one of the most common causes of death in children and young people. The number of young people drowning has increased since the pandemic. This is a vital role helping us to deliver the National Water Safety Forum’s Drowning Prevention Strategy.
- You will be the public face of our learning programme, providing many children, young people and families with a lifesaving experience.
- Opportunity to work with the Canal & River Trust’s education team in the delivery of our water safety learning programmes aimed at children aged 3 – 18 years.
- We can help you gain many transferable skills for your CV and future employment as well as giving you a valuable insight into our work with children and young people around the England & Wales waterway system.
- Training, travel expenses and volunteer uniform are provided.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
On-going role, term time, weekdays within the school day.
Volunteer Opportunity Number
VO10248 (please make a note of this ‘VO’ number if applying for this role).