Dogs Trust Freedom Project
17 Wakley Street
Role and Opportunity Details (to apply for this role you must be 18+)
We are looking for Foster Carers in the North West area.
Dogs Trust Freedom Project is a vital dog fostering service for people fleeing domestic abuse. Our foster carers know that they are not only helping a dog in need, but they are also supporting a family to escape domestic abuse. Fostering also has all the benefits of caring for a dog, without the expense and long-term commitment.
Specific Skills Required
To make sure everyone is safe and happy, there are a few things to consider before deciding if fostering is right for you. These include:
- Having experience in caring for dogs.
- We’re looking for volunteers who already have experience looking after dogs. This could be looking after your own pups or caring for someone else’s dog in your home.
- Being available during the day.
- To help our foster dogs settle into your home we prefer for them to have company during the day. Because of this, we’re looking for foster carers who can commit to not leaving the dog regularly for four hours or more. If you work from home or you’re retired, this could be ideal for you.
- Being able to foster a dog for up to six months. Don’t panic, we’re able to provide holiday cover so you can take that well-deserved break.
- Not having cats or small pets. Unfortunately, we’re currently unable to accept new volunteers who have cats or small pets in the home.
- Not having any children under 10 living in the home. If you have children who visit you, contact us or apply now and we can chat through this in more detail.
- Living anywhere in the North West of England. You don’t need to live near a Dogs Trust rehoming centre, or even drive, to foster with our Freedom Project; as long as you can access a vet. We’ll bring the dog to you along with everything you need.
Benefits of volunteering with this organisation
- By volunteering to foster a dog for 6-9 months you will enable the owner to access a refuge safe in the knowledge that their dog will be loved and cared for.
- Dogs Trust covers all food, expenses and veterinary bills and there are loads of fantastic benefits for you to being part of the project.
- Fostering a dog can be an incredibly exciting and rewarding opportunity.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity.
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
Volunteer Opportunity Number
VO10295 (please take a note of the ‘VO’ number before applying for this role).