Canal & River Trust
Role and Opportunity Details (to apply for this role you must be 18+)
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals to co-ordinate and lead our ever-growing groups of practical volunteers specifically along the Leeds-Liverpool canal in Wigan.
We need help with co-ordinating and leading the group on outdoor practical tasks such as vegetation clearance, plastics removal, towpath repair as a few examples.
As a Lead, you’ll work alongside staff and other volunteers to plan, promote, lead, deliver, evaluate and celebrate volunteering and volunteers in your local area/team.
Lead Volunteers are increasingly important in providing the support, direction and organisation our volunteers need.
We provide the opportunity to gain experience or put your skills into practice to ensure the smooth day to day running of volunteer activities in your area and that our volunteers have the best experience possible.
This is a responsible role with a lot to offer the right person, as such an appropriate selection process is in place.
Specific Skills Required
- Excellent people skills, including patience, empathy, and the ability to respond to needs & spot potential.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including listening and providing feedback.
- Enthusiasm & commitment for the waterways and the Trust’s values.
- Good understanding of health & safety principles.
- Experience of volunteering, and an understanding of the dynamics of volunteer management.
- Experience of leading volunteers is desirable but not essential as training will be given and shadowing staff will take place for a fixed period.
- Good IT skills, & availability to respond to needs of volunteers and colleagues within the Trust
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
- Through this role you will gain a strong set of skills and experience, ideal for those looking to gain practical work experience and increase their employability, or those keen to put existing skills to good use and pass on the benefits active volunteering can bring to others.
- Dedicated training and networking is an essential part of the role, and you’ll be supported by existing Leads and Trust staff as you develop your skills.
- You will get to explore your local waterways and meet lots of new people from a wide range of backgrounds.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
10am-2pm Tuesdays but this could change.
Volunteer Opportunity Number
VO10247 (please make a note of this ‘VO’ number if applying for this role).