Role and Opportunity Details (Volunteers must be aged 18 or above to apply)
Independent Custody Visitor (ICV)
The independent custody visiting (ICV) scheme ensures that Greater Manchester Police custody facilities are independently checked and monitored by volunteers. This scheme is a statutory responsibility of the Police, Crime and Commissioners role which is overseen in Greater Manchester by Greater Manchester Combined Authority, specifically the Deputy Mayor for Police, Crime, Fire and Criminal Justice, Beverley Hughes.
Independent custody visitors (ICVs) are members of the local community who volunteer to visit police stations unannounced to check on the welfare and wellbeing of people held in police custody. They look at a number of issues, from the treatment of detainees and behaviour of custody staff to the effectiveness of custody processes. Independent custody visitor (ICV) recommendations can require the police to make improvements for the welfare of detainees and, therefore, they play a valuable role in maintaining public confidence in this important area of policing.
There are thirteen independent custody visitors (ICVs) in Greater Manchester, and every custody suite in the area is visited, in pairs, once a week.
Specific Skills Required
Nothing specifically, however there is an essential and desirable criteria.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
Reasons to be a GMCA Independent Custody Visiting Volunteer
- Be part of a great team and meet new people.
- Gain work experience within a leading emergency service.
- Out of pocket expenses paid.
- Learn about aspects of the custody process and other relevant partner agencies.
- Develop and improve your confidence communicating with lots of different people, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Get to attend training courses relevant to your volunteering role, useful on both a personal and professional level and for on-going development.
- Regular feedback, support groups and one to one sessions with the Volunteers Manger.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity.
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
Anytime of the week as agreed with fellow visitor.
Volunteer Opportunity Number