Citizens Advice Wigan Borough
Magnum House, 33 Lord Street
Role and Opportunity Details (to apply for this role you must be 18+)
- Follow up clients to ascertain the outcomes of advice.
- Recording outcomes.
- Closing files.
- Completing file reviews.
- Assisting with form applications.
- Completing evaluations and measuring impact.
- Researching possible sources of funding for individuals and families in need.
- Completing client satisfaction surveys.
- Following up calls with professionals where necessary.
Specific Skills Required
- Understanding of the main enquiry issues involved in assessing clients’ problems.
- Understanding of the issues affecting society and their implications for clients and service provision.
- Willingness to learn and develop skills in main enquiry areas.
- Ability to use IT e.g. basic keyboard / data entry skills / navigation of the Citizens Advice website.
- Friendly and approachable.
- Sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to access relevant signposting information including electronic and written materials.
- Understanding of the service Aims and Principles.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
Through the voluntary contribution, we draw on a wide range of talents from people with many backgrounds, including the retired and those with disabilities, whose services otherwise may not have been available. This gives the service an inclusivity and diversity which contributes to our understanding of the needs of the community.
Providing volunteering opportunities also benefits the community as a whole, giving people the opportunity for personal development through the training and experience provided, often enabling them to re-engage and realise new opportunities following illness or other life events.
Our community also helps people to build relationships, networks and bonds of trust. This is particularly valuable for our asylum seeker volunteers who meet with members of the host community in a workplace setting. This in turn can develop their confidence and support them and their families in engaging with the wider community.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
1 day a week, Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.
Volunteer Opportunity Number
VO10211 (please make a note of this ‘VO’ number if applying for this role).