Gibfield Park Avenue
Role and Opportunity Details
Support a person with sight loss
To support a person with sight loss to safely navigate the environment, building self-confidence and increasing social interaction; whilst maintaining dignity and promoting independence.
What does the role involve?
- Provide sighted guide assistance on a regular basis to people living with sight loss to help them achieve their goals (commonly weekly).
- The lengths of partnerships vary, from 6 weeks to 12months+, your availability will be matched with a suitable customer.
- Undertake all elements of My Guide training (approximately 2 days).
- Support access to local services and facilities in their local community.
- Provide regular feedback on progress and any issues that arise to your line manager.
- Provide the My Guide role at agreed times/location based on the mutually agreed activity plan.
- Maintaining professional boundaries and adhering to safeguarding procedures.
Specific Skills Required
What skills or experience are required?
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patience and flexibility.
- Able to undertake your role safely and effectively.
- Act in a non-judgemental way, without discrimination.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
What will I get out of it?
- Make a life-changing difference to someone in need in your community.
- Opportunity to meet and interact with other Guide dogs’ volunteers.
- An opportunity to build experience and knowledge of sight loss and develop your existing skills.
- Gain skills and experience whilst doing something that you enjoy.
- Build experience and skills while growing your confidence.
- Meet people, have fun and be part of your community.
- Help a charity do more while you learn what you are good at.
- Become a valued and integral part of the Guide Dogs team.
- Increasing the independence, dignity and wellbeing of people living with sight loss through the delivery of the My Guide service.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Variable depending on individual needs; approximately 3 hours per week
Volunteer Opportunity Number