Archives: Wigan & Leigh
Leigh Town Hall
Leigh, WN7 1EB
Role and Opportunity Details
Conservation and Digitisation Volunteers (CDV) help ensure our collections are preserved for researchers and future generations. They contribute to the success of the Archives by assisting staff to ensure our collections are repaired, cleaned and digitised to make them accessible to everyone.
Following training, our CDV will:
- Work with the Archives staff to help repair and clean our collections and make them more accessible to researchers and visitors.
- Work on digitisation and improving the preservation of historic archives by making them more accessible online.
Specific Skills Required
We provide lots of training, but we are looking for CDV who are:
- Friendly and outgoing.
- Have an interest in Archives, local history and Museums.
- Have an interest in hands-on, practical tasks.
- Have good communication skills.
- Reliable – with regular attendance, we ask for a commitment of two shifts a month.
- Age 18 or over.
- Are keen to learn and stay informed.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
Our Volunteers enjoy:
- Being surrounded by and involved in Local History.
- The opportunity to gain experience working within collection management and conservation.
- Having the opportunity to learn new skills.
- Access to our comprehensive Volunteer Training program.
We welcome Volunteers of all abilities and needs, please let us know if you do have any additional needs or requirements that we can help to support you with whilst volunteering.
Please note that this role is wheelchair accessible.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Thursday to Saturday 10-1, 1:30-4
Volunteer Opportunity Number