Archives: Wigan & Leigh
Leigh Town Hall
Leigh, WN7 1EB
Role and Opportunity Details
Learning Volunteers (LV) help ensure that our visiting School and Educational Groups have a great day out. They contribute to the success of the Archives by assisting staff, helping our visitors enjoy their day and providing excellent customer service.
*Please note this role may be subject to a DBS check*
Following training, our LV will:
- Greet and welcome Schools and Activity Groups when they come to visit the Archives.
- Support staff in the set up and take down ahead of school sessions.
- Help to support School staff in visiting the Archives, including showing them around, offering information and advice.
- Being on hand to answer questions from students who are visiting.
Specific Skills Required
We provide lots of training, but we are looking for LV who are:
- Friendly and outgoing.
- Have an interest in Archives, local history and Museums.
- Have experience working/volunteering with children and young people.
- Have good communication skills.
- Reliable – with regular attendance, we ask for a commitment of three shifts a month during term time with the option of flexible volunteering over school holidays.
- Age 18 or over.
- Are keen to learn and stay informed.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
Our Volunteers enjoy:
- Being surrounded by and involved in Local History.
- Have the opportunity to gain experience working with children, young people and families.
- Having the opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience in a public facing role.
- Access to our comprehensive Volunteer Training program.
We welcome Volunteers of all abilities and needs, please let us know if you do have any additional needs or requirements that we can help to support you with whilst volunteering.
Please note that this role is wheelchair accessible.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer Opportunity Number