Role and Opportunity Details
We aim to help other people lead a more fulfilling life through the power of quality peer mentoring.
We support those experiencing multiple disadvantages such as homelessness, offending, substance misuse and mental health issues.
There is no typical day as everyone is a unique person with different needs of support.
Duties may include:
- Building a trusting relationship with your mentee, working towards achieving their goals.
- To assist people to develop basic life skills to help someone become more independent.
- Helping people navigate the housing and benefits system.
- Supporting people to attend health and wellbeing appointments.
- Walking alongside people, listening, guiding, and offering solutions and choices.
- Encouraging people to engage with other services.
- Introducing people to new social activities and peer networking.
- Helping people build lasting relationships with others – family friends.
- Attending monthly support sessions with your line manager.
- Recording notes after each mentee session.
Specific Skills Required
We are looking for people;
- with a passion to help others.
- who are empathetic and reliable.
- Positive, committed, and non-judgmental.
- Who are available for 4-6 hours a week, ideally over 2 days for 4-6months?
- Although it’s not a requirement, we welcome people who have been through similar experiences.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
We offer a fun and informative two-day training programme and induction plan after which you will get shadowing opportunities before you start.
This role is also suitable for people on Criminology, psychology, forensic psychology and Health and Social Care courses and often having this experience on your CV increases your chances of securing a paid role in the Charity Sector and with Probation.
We can also support your personal development and getting into paid work.
This role offers real work experience, a chance to build your CV and skills and often leads to jobs within the Charity Sector and Probation.
Level of commitment required
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
Once or twice a week for 4-6 hours Monday to Friday 9-5pm.
Volunteer Opportunity Number
VO10144 (please make a note of this ‘VO’ number if applying for this role).