The Old Courts
Gerrard Winstanley House
Role and Opportunity Details
Join us at The Old Courts as a volunteer and help us to reach out to those who feel lonely and isolated.
The role currently involves:
- Weekly phone calls to allocated Service Users to engage them in positive conversation and help to reduce feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Checking on Service Users wellbeing and lending a listening ear.
- Supporting and encouraging attendance to community groups as part of a support plan.
- Logging your calls on our secure system and following procedures if you have a concern.
Our service is growing and developing and our volunteer roles will reflect this as opportunities evolve.
Specific Skills Required
Experience is not necessary and we don’t ask for qualifications. We’re interested in your personal qualities and skills:
- Compassion, empathy, and patience are key qualities that we look for in our volunteers.
- The ability to consider the Service Users needs and be sensitive to these during conversation.
- Possession of strong listening skills and the ability to provide good conversation.
- Reliability and consistency.
- You will also need access to a phone and a computer or other device for completing admin task such as logging support calls, sending and receiving emails (a smart phone would cover this).
References will be requested along with 2 x forms of ID (one of which must be photograph ID) due to the role involving support being provided to vulnerable adults.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
- Contribute towards reducing isolation and loneliness in your local community.
- Feel satisfaction that you have assisted in the increase of self-esteem and self-worth for our service users.
- Gain experience in supporting people who may be vulnerable.
- Develop new skills and build your confidence.
- Access relevant training to ensure that you feel confident within your role and add to your own learning and development.
Level of commitment required
- Availability for a minimum of 2 hours per week, for a minimum of 3 months. This is an ongoing opportunity.
Date(s) / Time(s) Required
Hours and days are flexible but should ideally be consistent.
Volunteer Opportunity Number