Wigan Council Shared Lives Service.
Role and Opportunity Details
Shared Lives are looking for people with big hearts and time to spare to join their team of Shared Lives Carers to make a difference to the lives of our vulnerable customers across the borough.
Carers provide support with day sessions, respite, and full-time placements, some of the support provided includes:
- Support people in their local and wider community to engage in meaningful activities, for example swimming, local community groups, cinema.
- Promote independence and help to develop daily living skills including cooking, cleaning, managing laundry.
- Accompany someone to appointments when necessary.
- Support someone to remain safe and well – this may include supporting someone with managing their medication or their own finances / bills.
Shared Lives Carers do receive a modest payment for their time and expenses as well as a programme of Wigan Council training and the full support of the staff team.
Carers are able to choose who they support, they are carefully matched to customers based on shared interests, hobbies or simply because they get on well.
Specific Skills Required
Carers need to be aged 18+ and just need to have a big heart, time to spare and willingness to support vulnerable people.
Benefits of Volunteering with this organisation
- Supporting with Shared Lives makes a great addition to your CV and enhances future career prospects.
- Giving something back to the community.
- Establish new and meaningful friendships.
- A payment for your time and expenses to ensure you are not out of pocket, based on the support needs of the person you are caring for.
- A free DBS check.
- Free mandatory training to enable you to fulfil the role.
- Ongoing support from the Shared Lives team.
- Opportunities to meet other Shared Lives Carers and attend various activities throughout the year.
- Carers are able to choose someone who has shared interests, hobbies or simply because you get on well together.
- Opportunities to attend the corporate table for Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic fixtures.
- Reduced rate gym membership.
Level of commitment required
To suit – we ask for a minimum of 4 hours per week, but various hours and opportunities are available.
Volunteer Opportunity Number